Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Make everything a game...better yet: a contest! (this child is my carbon copy)

Today Bella was struggling with the leap into addition, without context or pictures. (Horizons Math K)  Finally, I actually consulted the Teacher's Manual.  I realized I'd neglected to introduce "counters."  It amazes me what a difference having the Manual makes.  Before this year I was, for all intents and purposes, teaching with workbooks, having to invent my own strategy for teaching concepts.  I don't miss it a bit.

I was about to break out the colored chips from the Math kit, when I realized I'd been swatting Levity and Bella away from my button collection all day.  Using colored buttons as counters worked.  Bella picked out her 10 favorite green, and 10 favorite pink.  Then she made it into girls (pink) vs. boys (green).  The less abstract, the better, it seems.  She usually does best when I make up a story about the Math.  For instance, she calls circles "heads," and the number nine is "a stick body with a head." 






Levity cooking us all eggs and bacon for lunch.

My little Muse.

random illustration from today

Levity's 'little b' is a boot!

I'm pretty sure this is Bella's 'Adam and Eve'

(Bella)

No comments: